OkCupid is one of the heavyweights of dating sites in the United States that can be found everywhere around the globe. This is certainly the most popular website for those who do not fit in the boxes easily. It will also delight all people who do not like the concept of most dating sites that offer either love for life or a plan ass.
OkCupid is an American dating site based on quizzes designed by users, and multiple choice questionnaires giving the possibility to the site to bring members closer profiles. Easy to use, with a multitude of practical features, however, we note quickly enough that the design of the website leaves much to be desired.
Mainly known for its dating site, OkCupid is also an American application, based on the same concept of quizz and QCM, allowing the algorithm to put you in touch with people with answers approaching yours.
Known data on OkCupid
- More than 3,000,000 visits a day!
- More than 100,000,000 visits per month! A titanic figure compared to a classic dating site like Zoosk
- Available on Android as well as on IOS
- Site language: English
- Correct male / female parity
- Average age around 30 years
The history and strategy of OkCupid
The site was launched on March 5, 2004. Its co-founders are Chris Coyne, Sam Yagan, Christian Rudder and Max Krohn. In 2007, he appeared in the top ten dating sites by Time magazine. In 2011, it counts more than three million users, especially young adults. On February 2, 2011, OkCupid was acquired by Match.com, one of its major competitors, for $ 50 million.
How the OkCupid website works
On OkCupid, there is a multitude of paid features. Most of them are extremely useful. Let’s review the different functions and their respective characteristics:
- See who liked you: Both paid and free versions have a function where you can “like” someone’s profile. But if you want to see who has loved you, you will have to subscribe to a package. Obviously, this is much more practical to seduce to know who has loved you. Indeed, in return you can also like to start a conversation. In addition, this feature saves you a lot of time searching profiles.
- The message filter: With this function, it will be possible to filter the people sending you messages that do not correspond to your criteria. This is an excellent feature because you will not have to check all messages and you will avoid potential spam. Filters can be multiple: age, ethnicity etc. Using this feature is a great time saver for you.
- Search other functions: The free version already has some interesting search parameters like hair color or eyes. With the paid version, it is possible to use even more parameters to refine your searches. For example, if you do not want an older woman who lives alone with cats, you can filter that! Or if you want a woman who does not want children.
- No advertising: This allows you to greatly optimize your experience.
Less useful features
- Browse profiles anonymously: This feature is not necessarily that useful. Indeed, if you activate it, no member will know if you have visited his profile or not. Thus, this function of anonymity is rather counter-productive than anything else.
- Ability to see who has read the messages or not: As for Facebook, you can see whether or not the member has read your message. Just like the functionality of the top, it is not necessarily the most useful function!
- Ability to change the user name: This is not necessarily the most interesting feature but it will be very useful if you want to change your name. However, be careful not to change your name in relation to other members.
Ease of use
OKCupid.com gives members the ability to browse and interact without paying a penny. By going to the search page, you can see who is online. It is also possible to like their profile from this page.
If you do not have a paid subscription, you will only see the username, the location and a photo of the member. You can also send them a message for more interactions. There is also the Quickmatch function, offering compatible matching profiles. You can use the “like” to explore more.
In short, the ease of navigation and use is at the rendezvous with a globally fast interface to take in hand.
Who is OkCupid for?
On OkCupid, all profiles are welcome. Regardless of your sexual orientation, you can be straight, gay, bi, trans, etc. You can as much look for the great love as the plans of a night.
Of course, you can specify whether you are married and available, or single. In addition, you can go even further in informing whether you want to pack or not and whether you are predominantly monogamous or non-monogamous.
How does the OkCupid members behave?
The members of OkCupid behave globally well since the selection is made from the entry and registration on the site. Indeed, the questionnaire is not only there for the purpose of constituting a huge database but also allows filtering candidates.
There a lot of sites linger only on the photo, OkCupid proposes you first the profiles of the adapted people, where there is more chance that you can develop affinities. Thus, all this makes the risk of aggressive or abusive behavior less. And if that happens, the moderation team there to intervene quickly.
Moderation on the website
OkCupid has a complete moderation team that scrupulously studies thousands of profiles per day. Anything suspicious is immediately removed. These kinds of profiles are detected by computer algorithms, even before members can report it.
The moderation team reserves the right to determine what may be harassment or harm. The group has the opportunity to ask active members to moderate messages, comments and other content to determine if someone’s behavior is negative for the community.
How to delete your OkCupid account
You can disable or delete your account on the web using the settings page at the bottom of the page.
If you choose to delete your account, be aware that it is possible to use the same email to open another account. However, your username will be permanently deleted. Thus, it will no longer be possible to use it for your new account.
Registration on OkCupid
The registration lasts only two minutes and is totally free. To register, simply fill in all the following information in the first step:
- Indicate your sexual orientation. A multitude of possibilities are available to you: straight, gay, bisexual, asexual, lesbian etc.
- Your sex. There are also many possibilities: woman, man, androgynous, transgender, transsexual etc.
Then, here is what you will need to complete to register:
- Your date of birth
- The country
- Postal code
- The email
- You also have the opportunity to register faster with Facebook
It should be noted that there is an Incognito mode to register.
OkCupid’s Fees and Pricing
OkCupid is free at around 90%! However, free features do not prevent you from sending and receiving messages. Or, subscribe to a subscription allows you to pass incognito because you can go to see the profiles without this being reported. In addition, it will also be possible to know which women you like or to see if your messages have been read.
Here are the four different packages offered by the famous American dating site:
The 1 month package available for $ 9.99;
A 3 months package available for $ 23.99;
The 6 month package available for $ 29.99;
A 12 month package available for $ 39.99.
As for payment, it will be billed directly to your account upon confirmation of purchase. Your account will be billed for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the one, three, six, or twelve month period.
Automatic renewal can be canceled by going to the user’s account settings after purchase. Attention because no cancellation of the current subscription is possible during the active subscription period.
The payment Options
Here are the payment facilities offered by OkCupid:
Mastercard (Visa, Visa Electron, American Express, Master Card, Euro Card, Cartass, Laser, Carte Bleue);
The customer support offered by OkCupid is complete and efficient. Indeed, the FAQ will bring all the necessary answers to your questions.
You can also contact OkCupid directly using a contact form, filling in the following information:
- The reason for your contact (billing problem, password change, Paypal payment problem, Android application problem etc.)
- The subject of your contact
- The message
- The mail
- Possible attachments
- The quality of the mobile application of the site. Indeed, the ease of navigation and use is the rendezvous, whether for iPhone and Android
- The possibility of reporting false profiles
- Registrants are real
- Simply one of the largest online dating sites. The features are varied, reliable and powerful
- Excellent privacy settings
- Receive and send messages for free!
- Many emails remain unanswered
- The site is only available in English
- The absence of webcam chat. Thus, it is not possible to know if the person you meet is like his profile picture
- You will have to pay and subscribe to a subscription if you want to eliminate site ads, and especially to get better search options
- The regrettable absence of wink and flirtation.
Reviews and feedback from users
“I use the application very often. It is navigated extremely easily on it. Small problem with the fact that the site is only in English. Forced to translate it manually sometimes. ”
“Complete and pleasant site. Not necessarily need to take a paid version because the free version is sufficient, with a lot of features.”
“The meeting site by excellent! Classic dating sites should be strongly inspired! Excellent moderation, a lot of traffic and a superb interface! Only fault? The absence of webcam chat.”
OkCupid is a well-designed, functional and popular dating site that we recommend because it is almost completely free, and that at any time of the day. It gives the opportunity to speak directly to the girls registered on the website. Little known in the country, it is being democratized over the years.
However, OkCupid has some major brakes on its use, especially in Europe, because it is only available in English. We also regret the absence of chat by webcam or options like winking and flirting.